Special CounselCovington & Burling LLP
Jeffrey White is a member of the firm’s Tax Practice Group. Hispractice involves federal and state tax planning as well as audit and controversy work. Mr. White focuses primarily onadvising sports leagues and teams on their state and local tax obligations and representing them in disputes with state revenue authorities.
He also has significant experience advising clients on various federal and state tax matters related to fringe benefits, payroll and wage withholding practices, information reporting, employment and unemployment taxation, worker classification, cross-border payments, tax nexus, income and sales/use taxation,apportionment, property taxation, Circular 230 requirements,preparer tax identification number registration, withholding taxon foreign entities, combined reporting, and foreign bankaccount reporting.
White has represented various teams in a professional sports league in connection with state income tax audits.
- Assisted a professional sports league with an Illinois state sales tax qui tam action.
- Advised a professional sports league on the tax treatment of signing bonuses and other remuneration.
- Advised a pharmaceutical company with successor and transfer tax liability issues related to an asset purchase.
- Assisted a political national committee on sales and use tax obligations for direct mailings.
- Advised a beverage company on sales and use taxation of retail transactions of dietary supplements.
- Represented a finance company regarding tax
White graduated University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1997 and Duke University, B.A.,1994, cum laude. He is a member of the Bar in the District of Columbia and Virginia.